Monday, July 12, 2010

1984: Part 2, Ch. 9-10

Honestly, I think this is the boring point of 1984. I understand that an explanation is being provided for why the society Winston lives in is the way it is, but I find it long and uninteresting. I feel like maybe I'm missing something and like this section is supposed to contain a key point of the novel. However, it's like these two chapters just leave me stuck in the plot, as if I'm not discovering much. Winston can't do much to fix what is happening with his world, since he is one person and the whole world is functioning in the same, cruel way. I feel frustrated while reading about Winston reading because it turns out that everything is a lie. The war, poverty, the Party, Big Brother: all are lies put in place in order to maintain a hierarchical society. It makes me angry that the Party would take such extreme and unfair measures just to maintain their place and power at the top.

George Orwell had such a pessimistic but, possibly, realistic view of the future. If the future had really turned out the way he had envisioned it, I believe mankind would have been doomed. A world so dark and cruel like that would have destroyed humans from the inside out. People can only be manipulated to a point. In the case of 1984, it is as if humans are not humans anymore but robots and puppets acting out parts. However, they aren't truly living or enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment