
JJ lent me a book of his called "The New Manual of Photography" by John Hedgecoe, and it is all about the basics of photography and about the different techniques, lenses, etc. used in the field. I like the book because there are many visuals and diagrams, which helps me a lot because I'm more of a visual learner. The author makes use of analogies that I think are effective in helping people remember, for example, exposure.

Hedgecoe uses the analogy of filling a glass with water to exposing film (the glass) to light (the water). The longer the faucet (shutter) is open, more water (light) will flow into the glass (expose the film). The book also includes statistical comparisons for different types of cameras (i.e. cost, lens size), as well as image comparisons that show how a certain effect changes a picture (i.e. depth of field, hard & soft light, direction of light, use of flash). "The New Manual of Photography" is informative and is loaded with tons of pictures that could help guide and inspire me when I'm taking my own pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment